My traditional doorbell recently stopped to work, makes me thinking about getting a fancy replacement.
There are a few “smart doorbell” on the market. The most famous one might be Ring Video Doorbell or the Pro version. The price on Amazon is ~$250, even with deal it’s still around $200. Besides the price, with Ring products, I need to use their app on my phone to get the call from doorbell, it’s not that easy to integrate with other smart devices, or add my own features. Say I would like to open the door after I talk with the person rings the doorbell, or I want to have a picture taken when it rings and display on my cellphone. So almost no consideration, I decided to build my own video doorbell.
Initial thoughts on what I want:
- Has an illuminated button, when pressed, change color or do some blinking to tell the visitor button pressed.
Rings traditional bell. Rings my home phone with different tone.
- Use SIP protocol to talk with other devices.
- Take a picture when pressed, display it on the screen when phone rings.
- Send a notice to my Samsung smartwatch
- Video capture on motion.
- Can call my doorbell from regular phone.
- Silent time for different devices.
- Take outside temperature and humidity.
Raspberry Pi Zero or Zero WRaspberry PI 2 or 3 (See this post).
- Camera with night vision IR LED.
- 15 Pin 1.0mm Pitch to 22 Pin 0.5mm Camera Cable.
- Step-down DC-DC regulator.
- mVox MV100 USB Speakerphone.
- DHT11 Temperature Humidity sensor.
- Usb Hub module(Optional for Zero W).
- Usb Wifi module(not necessary for Zero W)
- 3D printed housing.
- 12V 2A power supply.
- An illuminated push button.